A new phase of redevelopment at the ROEBLING WORKS in Trenton begins in March with the groundbreaking for HHG Development Associates’ historic rehabilitation of the 1917 Clark Street Rope Shop on Roebling Block 3 for 138 ROEBLING LOFTS. The John A. Roebling’s Sons Company erected the Rope Shop, aka Building 101, during World War I for production of small diameter wire rope, including Roebling Aircord for aircraft control. The Rope Shop embodied the new industrial design of the daylight factory with enormous steel sash windows and skylights on the top floor.
The 1 and 2-bedroom Lofts will have replica full-height energy efficient windows, 16 to 20 ft. ceilings, and 759 to 1,553 SF of space. The Mercer County Improvement Authority competitively awarded the 7-acre Block 3 redevelopment to HHG for its proposed ROEBLING CENTER, which will include additional apartments plus office/tech and hospitality space in rehabilitated and new buildings. CLARKE CATON HINTZ is serving as the project architect and HHG expects to complete the first phase Roebling Lofts in early 2017.
C.W. Zink has assisted the ROEBLING CENTER project by nominating ROEBLING BLOCK 3, above, to the National Register of Historic Places to recognize its historic significance and make it eligible for Historic Investment Tax Credits. The view above shows Building 101 from the southwest.
Purchase THE ROEBLING LEGACY
Subscribe to Journal via Email
- Mercer Magic wins Outstanding Book Award from Society of Automotive Historians March 14, 2017
- 1904 Ford Piquette Plant Highlights Early Model T Production September 6, 2016
- Monmouth County Park System publishes Discover History in the Parks Series May 3, 2016
- Mercer Magic Review: “We give this book our highest level of recognition.” April 6, 2016
- Groundbreaking set for ROEBLING LOFTS redevelopment in Trenton February 22, 2016
- Mercer Magic at the Simeone Automotive Museum in Philadelphia on January 27 January 13, 2016
- Graceful lines and speed to spare…fastest car known anywhere December 4, 2015
- Ellarslie Roebling exhibit highlights Trenton’s greatest enterprise July 18, 2015
- CATHEDRAL OF INDUSTRY July 8, 2014
- The Coast Artillery on guard 70 years ago June 6, 2014